Pages

Friday, February 20, 2015

Week 25- Snow, Cold, & More Snow #Flippedclassroom

This week was a wash! Monday we were out for President's Day. Tuesday & Thursday we had a delay for extremely cold temperatures. Wednesday & Friday were snow days.

So what did we do at school this week? Not much! By the time we arrived we had time to eat lunch, go to PE, & go home. I did get to teach a little math this week but that's about it.

However, I took advantage of my snow day Wednesday and participated in a Webinar about Flipping the Classroom. I love the view presented by Jonathan Bergmann & Aaron Sams. I had heard about flipping the classroom and have wanted to try it for a while. Most teachers teach a lesson, practice problems, and then send students home with homework to practice. However, the students need you more when they are practicing. So you flip it so they listen to the lesson at home and do the work in class so you are available to them.  I had already made some videos for my parents/students last year when we were doing some things in math that might be new to both. So I assigned HW Thursday night, watch this video.


My plan was to group students and do an assignment in class, using peer tutoring and grouping. But we haven't been back to school. I told my kids to be ready Monday if we were out for snow today. I can't wait to see how this works. My goal is to start flipping my math class and doing video homework at least once a week. I'll let you know how it works out!

STUDENTS: I told you about flipping our math class. Do you think you are going to like this? Why or why not?


9 comments:

  1. Yes it helps me learn better. Taylor Guess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes because our parents weren't taught our way so they can't help.
    haley

    ReplyDelete
  3. It depends but I do think that it does help when we don't have help at home!
    Sophia N.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes because it will help people do their homework.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, because it will help many students in both classes that are having trouble.I hope you will be able to tell the other teachers about this throughout the school, and maybe work on telling the middle school and other schools too.Just so we can be happy when we actually get to middle school.

    Yesha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, because for students who have parents that don't teach it like you do, it will give the parents and students to understand it better. This way if we don't know we can continue to wash the video over and over and over and over again! And for kids that love using technology (like me) will continue to enjoy this and get better at the subjects you teach!

    - Faith Ellison

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES! It is SOOOOOOOOOOO much easier this way
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it this way. It is a lot easier to get help with homework. It is also the perfect amount of homework.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love it this way!!!! This way, if our parents dont know how to do it then we can watch ur video and its like your at home with us helping us with our hw!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.